Since Chris is from Louisville and we can’t make it back to his "Old Kentucky Home" for the greatest two minutes in sports this year, we are bringing the Kentucky Derby to Raleigh, N.C.! We are hosting a Derby party and my mind is already spinning on all the fun ways to spice up the day with all things Kentucky.
Without giving away too much (wouldn’t want to spoil any surprises) … here are a handful of things you can’t have a Derby party without …
- The first being an ample supply of Mint Juleps … the official drink of the Derby (and any who loves Bourbon, really). I love, love, love mason jars so I decided to mash the two together with an idea I found on Pinterest!
- BIG, FUN HATS! My sister and I were talking about where to find a hat for the party the other day and we finally decided to make our own. We’re going to hit up Michaels for all the sparkly, floral and colorful supplies to make our Derby hats a hit! Check out some classic Derby-style hats.
- KY-inspired food. I’ve been searching all over to find out what food would make my shindig complete with Kentucky flare. A couple things will do the trick. Kentucky Hot Brown sandwiches, Bourban Balls and Derby Pie! A variation of each will make an appearance on that first Saturday in May.
- Betting and games! You can’t throw a horse racing party without some gambling of your own. My guests will be able to bet on a horse of their choosing with some money up for grabs. How I’ll set this up is still undecided but I’m excited about my options. And to balance out the betting, we’ll bring out the cornhole boards and some other games to enjoy.
- And finally, you can’t have a Derby party without great friends, family and a big TV. We’ve invited some of our closest buds in North Carolina to celebrate an event close to our hearts, and with the help of a Black Friday deal, they’ll have our semi-new-ish 60 inch TV to watch the horses run for the roses!
HAPPY DERBY TO YOU!